Portable solar power generators have come a long way both in quality and price over the last two years. Most of this is due to lithium battery technology making these portable power stations increasingly robust and capable of storing more power for longer periods of time.
Camping, hiking and enjoying the outdoors means disconnecting from the grid and leaving the hectic “real world” behind.
However, it’s still nice to be able to check emails, texts and maybe get a little work done on the laptop before blowing out the campfire for the night.
The best portable solar power station generators feature large capacity Ah (Ampere Hours) lithium or lead-based batteries with numerous charging and power supply outlets in a compact, easy to carry format easily charged with solar panels and other energy sources.
These solar power banks can also be crucial in emergencies when charging a phone or weather radio can be a matter of life and death.
Some of the best portable solar power banks feature multiple charging options allowing them to charge via solar panels, vehicle adapters and direct to wall plugs.
This versatility makes charging the generators fast and easy. And once fully charged they are capable of powering up a wide variety of appliances, devices and gadgets.
You can use the solar generator for phone and laptop charging, powering radios, MP3 players, Ipads, small TV’s and even CPAP machines for those who have sleep apnea.
However, with so many different models to choose from, selecting the best portable solar power generator isn’t a simple task.
Here is our take on the top 10 best portable solar power generators under $200. Consider reading through and see which among them fits you the best.
1. Picowe 250W Solar Generator: This is a beast of a portable power station!
Big power and big storage capacity, the Picowe 250 W is one of the largest and most powerful portable power stations in this $200 and under round-up.
The Picowe 250W Solar Generator comes with the following unique features;
• Built-in Ac, DC and USB port outlets where you can charge all devices that are under 250W.
• It also features an immense power capacity of 67500mAh 250W 3.7V charging station.
• Three-way input: You can connect the charger to a solar panel, use a wall outlet charger, or plugging the charger into your car’s 12V socket.
• It also features ROHS, CE, and FCC certification for ultra-safety on the user. The smart energy control system helps to enhance this.
• It comes with a 1 x power adapter, car charger, cigar lighter and manual, and
• A 12-month warranty with 30-day cash back guarantee.
2. 168Wh Goal Zero Yeti Power Station: Old school battery design is ideal for cold-weather trekking.
The 168Wh lead-acid power station comes with the following features:
• The device can charge up to 5 devices at a go
• Offers 80W continuously, feature 160 SINE WAVE INVERTER and 2.1A USB ports
• You can recharge using AC 12V car socket or a solar panel
• Designed by experts and highlights the US-based customer service desks for fast and easy customer support.
• You can use it for charging the camera, tablets, and phones, among other devices.
- The lead-acid battery performs better in extremely cold conditions vs lithium batteries which can drain quickly in below-freezing temperatures.
3. ROCKPALS 178Wh 48000mAh Portable Generator: Rock-solid design with a warranty that backs the product.
The middle-weight ROCKPALS 178 Wh portable power station is another great choice with it’s superb balance of small size and serious charging power. And it’s all backed by a decent warranty. It comes with a list of its excellent characteristics including;
• High power capacity of 48000mAh 178Wh in comparison to generators of similar size
• Also has a 150W powerful 110 v AC, 12V DC and USB outputs with which you can use to power a variety of your devices.
• You can also consider recharging from the sun, a wall outlet or your car’s 12V socket,
• It uses no fuels, and therefore, no noise produced maintaining a conducive and relaxing environment.
• Offers 100% customer satisfaction and 45-days for 100% refund if it fails to work.
4. SUAOKI 150Wh Generator: Super Compact Size But Big On Power!
The 2.90 lbs generator is the most compact in the market. The small size makes the SUAOKI solar power station we review a top choice for campers, hikers, hunter and adventurers whho are going to be on the move.
The compact size straps nicely to a backpack for fast and easy charging on the fly! The SUAOKI is equipped with the following:
• Ten different outlet ports for charging various devices at the same time
• It also has a capacity of 150Wh to charge your phone, tablets, pads, GoPro, camera, and other accessories.
• Use the 110V AC socket on a wall outlet, SUAOKI 100W solar panel, or direct sunlight to have the generator charged. You can also use a 12V or 24V car socket in recharging.
• It’s also safe and reliable
• It also comes with lifetime support from the manufacturer, a 24-month warranty and a 30-day cash back guarantee.
5. Progeny 280W Generator: Big, Bold Power On The Go!
If size and weight is less of a concern, the PROGENY 280W Solar Camping Power Station is a great choice. The 280W output means there is some serious power under the hood and it’s backed by a solid warranty.
The 280W generator is among the best with the following features;
• A super large power capacity of 280Wh to make sure you’re your devices stay charged throughout your camping.
• It’s multifunctional with 110V AC, 12V DC outputs and 2 x 3.1A USB ports where you can connect your devices for charging.
• It’s a 5.7 pounds generator making it easy to transport from one place to the other. Also, it produces no noise or vibration maintaining a quiet camping environment.
• It’s easy to recharge using a 100W solar panel or plug in the charger into a wall outlet.
• It also comes with an 18-month warranty and a friendly customer service.
6. AIPER 167W 45000mAh Solar Generator: Lightweight with plenty of power!
The AIPER 167W features a unique overcharge protection circuit that can prevent damage to batteries. A nice feature indeed! Weighing in at just over 3.5 pounds makes it a light weight choice for cmapers and hikers on the move.
The AIPER 167W will come with excellent traits as follows;
• A large battery capacity of 167W to recharge your iPhone for at least 20 times.
• Feature a multi-functional output way that is 110V AC, 2 USB ports and 3 x DC port of 120W maximum. The three allows sufficient charging of your devices.
• It weighs 3.52lbs making it easy to carry around.
• It features three input methods. That is, you can recharge by a wall outlet or a car adapter or use direct sunlight.
• It comes with a battery management system for safety purposes and produces no noise or vibrations.
• Comes with a 12-month warranty, and a 45-day cash back guarantee.
7. AIMTOM Portable Solar Generator: Small size and super functional.
The AIMTOM has it all. A generous charge capacity of 4200mAh coupled with a compact design tipping the scales at under 3.5 pounds.
It’s a great back-pack companion and features a great warranty to boot!
The following are some of its best features;
• The high battery capacity of 42000mAh that will cater to all your needs
• 110V/ 100W AC outlet, 3 x 5V USB port outlets, and 3 x 12V DC outlets to charge all your devices.
• The 3.48lbs are lightweight, making it easy to carry it everywhere you go.
• It’s quiet and therefore gives you a peaceful environment to camp and relax.
• Also comes with a 12-month warranty.
8. PAXCESS 100W 40800mAh Portable Solar Generator: Another solid choice for off-grid fun!
The PAXCESS isn’t the most powerful of the bunch but it features a large energy storage capacity built around a fault protection system designed to protect your devices from damaging power spikes while charging.
At just over 3 pounds the PAXCESS is very compact and easy to move around with. We really like the big LED display on this power bank as well.
The PAXCESS features:
• 2 x 110V AC outlets, 3 x 12V DC outlets, and 2 x 5V USB port output to charge all your devices at the same time.
• You can recharge from your car’s 12V socket, a wall outlet or in direct sunlight.
• Requires no gasoline, making it environmentally friendly
• It weighs 3.3lbs making it light to carry around.
• Features a battery management system for users safety
• It comes with a 100% customer satisfaction, 45-day cash back guarantee, and a one-year replacement warranty.
9. VETOMILE 166W, 45000wAh Portable Solar Generator: Super Durable Power Bank
The robust design of the VETOMILE 166W makes it a great choice for portable power in rough conditions. The shock-proof design can take some abuse when you are out in the wild.
The generator comes with the following key characteristics;
• The high battery capacity of 45000mAh that gives it a high-performance rate,
• A PURE SINE WAVE compatible with most devices for charging including portable HAM survival radios.
• It’s durable and ultra-safe. Its construction features PC and ABS materials that are shock-resistant and fireproof.
• Use a wall outlet, a 12V car socket or direct sunlight for recharging
• It comes with a one-year warranty guarantee
10. SUAOKI 150W Dual 110V AC outlet Generator: Small size with a great warranty.
Featuring a full 2-year warranty the SUAOKI 150W Dual features solid components in a really nice small and compact design making it easy to carry around.
An integrated battery overload protection system protects both the internal lithiums and the batteries and electronics inside the device being charged.
• Comes with two hideable handles that make its transportation easy
• You can recharge the generator using a 12V car socket, a wall outlet, or keep it under direct sunlight.
• 3 x 5V USB ports, 4 x 12V DC outlets and 111V AC outlet for effective charging of your devices.
• Also features a battery management system for your safety, and
• Comes with a 24-month warranty guarantee, and a 30-day cash back guarantee
In a nutshell, any of the top 10 portable solar power generators showcased above will be a solid choice for your on the go power bank needs.
Which one is best really depends on your needs. If you plan to be on the move a lot, moving from campsite to campsite between hikes, for example, then choosing one of the more compact models is probably your best choice.
If you are car camping and plan to stay put in one spot then one of the larger and more powerful models might be a better bet.
If you plan to use a portable power generator to power a CPAP or a small TV or any other high drain device then you should definitely go with one of the larger, more powerful models with larger main battery capacity. Devices like these require significant continuos AMP drain requiring a constant flow of energy from the battery.
It’s much better to have too much power vs too little power. So when in doubt, spend a bit more on a portable generator with higher battery capacity for better overall charging and power output performance along with a longer battery life-span.
And last but not least, make sure you have a survival backpack or bugout bag large enough to fit your solar power station.
Frequently Asked Questions About Portable Solar Power Stations
- What is the best portable solar power generator?
Answer: The best portable power stations feature a large capacity (mAH) main battery with numerous charging and power outlets. In general, the more a portable generator costs the higher the battery capacity will be.
- Can A Yeti 400 Power A TV?
Answer: Yes the Yeti 400 portable generator can power a 32″ LED TV for about 2 hours. Televisions are considered high drain devices and the Yeti 400 is one of the smallest portable solar power stations suggested for TV use.
- How Many Watts of Solar Do I Need?
Answer: It depends on what you intend to power with your generator. First, calculate watt consumption per device, and add them all together to generate a total number of watts needed per hour.
- What Can the Yeti 400 Power?
Answer: The Yeti 400 Portable Power Station features a 400Wh, 33Ah (12V) lead-based battery capable of powering the generator’s 2 USB ports, 2 AC outlets, and one 12 volt outlet. Depending on the amp drain per unit, the Yeti 400 can provide power for several hours.
- What is the best portable power station?
Answer: It is best to buy a portable generator with a large capacity lithium or lead-core battery with numerous USB ports and at least one AC outlet and a 12-volt outlet for ideal charging performance.
- Do you have any best picks for solar generators for $500 and less?
Answer: Yes, solar power banks in the $500 range will feature larger batteries capable of storing more electricity and larger capacity controllers able to generate higher wattage output for devices that require more electricity like larger TV’s. laptops, and CPAP machines.